Friday, March 4, 2011

A Week of Ups & Downs - February 28, 2011

Hola Familia,
 
How are all of you? I hope everything is great! It´s good to hear that Cami is doing well... even if she is addicted to pain medication. Haha!  Tell her Feliz Cumpliaños...19 Holy cow she´s old! I can´t believe it´s been like 7 years since the girls last went to State. That´s embarassing!! Meh... What do you do? Tell Doug to keep pushing them.  That´s crazy that yo Beav gets married in like 2 months.  Where is her wedding going to be? Tell her I expect an invitation!! I can´t believe you have so much snow there... it´s a balmy 75 degrees here usually. It rains everyday here now because their summer has pretty much ended and we are now entering the rainy season.  It is SO HUMID!!!! You can probably tell from the pictures that my hair is freaking out here. The coat has been wonderful...worth every cent. It´s just really hard to imagine that it´s still February and that there is still snow on the ground.  It´s like I´m in a dream world most of the time, like time at home has completely stopped. 
 
Salta is a beautiful city, it is so green.  It is surrounded by really green hills.  In the distance you can see mountains, probably the Andes. Salta isn´t really that big. Big cities here in South America are a lot different than in America. I have come to really appreciate so many things about America in the 3 short weeks that I´ve been here. The food down here is so good though.  They eat a lot of pastries...they are a lot different than the pasteries in the states though. They have a ton of delicious desserts here! I am probably going to gain so much weight. They eat a lot of meat here. They eat these things called Empandas.  It´s a mix of meat and vegetables in a pie crust shell. Then they bake it! SO good! Tacos and burritos are a foreign food here. I have not once had a taco. These people are very interesting.  They think that Americans are so uptight.  They have absolutely no concept of time or keeping appointments so it´s a good day when catch people at home.  A lot of times I think people make appointments with us so they know when not to be home! Haha! They sleep all the time too! There are absolutely no people on the streets during the siesta from 1 to 3.  Dad, guess what, the compass still points North here.  Wierd huh... I thought for sure it would point South.  I was mistaken though.  I also saw a drunk Gaucho! haha! That was fun!
 
When I say this week has been full of ups and downs I´m not kidding.  We had two more baptisms this week.  Paula and Rita. They are twins!  Oh my gosh I love these two girls! They understand English so I talk to them a lot! They are members of the family that I mentioned a few weeks ago that gave us the bags, the family of Miguel and Stella.  Not the ones from the rain storm.  I LOVE the family of Miguel and Stella! I was having a hard time in church yesterday because I was frustrated with the language and the culture, I started to cry but Stella gave me the biggest hug and told me that everything was going to be okay. She said that she would help me with the language.  Anyways, I love this family so much.  It was really awesome to see them get baptized.  They used my white shirts from Banana Republic and my white skirt to get baptized in... I´ll probably end up using those a lot! Anyways, the dad Miguel and mom Stella aren´t married.  That´s a big problem down here.  Miguel has been dragging his feet and waiting for an answer that the church is true for a long time.  He has had a pretty hard heart... what´s cool though is that in the short time I have been here, I can tell he is changing.  During Rita and Paula´s baptism, a member of the Area 70 showed up... scary.  Anyways he wanted to talk to their family after the baptism.  HOLY COW!!! Amazing, that doesn´t just happen! Anyway, the spirit in that meeting was so strong, even I could feel it and I can´t understand the language very well still.  Anyways after the meeting Miguel came up to us and said that he wanted to get married and baptized on the 11th of March!!! So cool! We are so blessed in this area. 
 
Anyways, even though all of that happened, we have not been able to find new people. That is a huge part of this.  We knocked doors for 2 solid hours yesterday and no one would let us in. When you hear of doors getting slammed in your face, that is truly what was happening to us.  We even found two Athiests... do you know how rare that is here? We also got, Don´t bother me I´m Catholic...that´s a super common one. To top it all off we got water dumped on top of us... not even kidding.  My companion even got hit. Yes, hit.  We were standing at a door and a crazy guy was walking past us and he like slapped my companion in the back of the head.  I´m sure my face said it all.  So for finding new people and with the language it´s been pretty hard.  I just have a hard time thinking I´ll ever learn this stuff.  Hermana Northcutt came to our ward yesterday and I had a complete break down in front of her. She´s like my mom out here, it´s like I was talking to you mom.  I´m okay...you just have to take it a day at a time out here. Everyday is a new adventure.
 
Sorry for the novel, there is just so much I want to tell all of you.  Mom, will you just keep watching my account.  I´m going to make a pretty big withdrawl here in a few days.  I want leather scripture covers, they are like $50 dollars a piece in American money.  Is that okay? I think I´m going to get about 3 of them.  Will you tell Brother Wood sorry, the Teachers Quorum wrote me and I haven´t had stamps so I can´t write them back. I´ll write them ASAP  I´ll let you know when I get the package. Will you send me a white Shade cap sleaved shirt sometime too?  I love all of you... SO I might attach some of them too.  Thanks for the letters, keep em coming!
 
I love you!
 
Hermana Wendy Evans
 
PS Mission policy here is that Sister Missionaries go home a half a transfer early so it looks like my release date is going to be June 26, 2012.  Are you guys wanting to come down here?

No comments:

Post a Comment