Tuesday, March 29, 2011

One Week Left in My First Transfer - March 14, 2011

Hey Family,

What´s going on? I´m glad to hear that you´re all doing well.  Did Dad finally make it to Nashville? And he thought we wouldn´t ever go back there again.  Dang BYU, I just want them to win something once.  Even if it is on my mission.  Haha! I´m glad to hear though that they´re getting some respect for doing what they did. Tell Grandpa Brownell Feliz Cumpliaños for me!  I can´t believe he´s 82.  Tell Cami and Alex and Becca I want to hear from them sometime. 

Well this week in Salta has been pretty uneventful.  Other than it´s been super duper cold.  I was not prepared for that.  Will you send me some warm stuff.  Like more cartigans, especially a black one, and maybe my coat.  I know it´s expensive and it takes a lot of time but I had no idea that it gets cold here.  But apprently it gets a lot colder than it is right now even.  It´s really humid so I guess the humidity just goes right through you. 

We are still teaching Stella and Miguel and their family.  They are progressing and were supposed to get married and baptized this Saturday.  We´re thinking that they will still get married this week but not baptized because Miguel needed to come to Church yesterday, he didn´t because Stella flipped out.  Haha! Gosh I´m so gratful for my family... Can I say that enough. They have so many family problems that I´m just so glad I never had to deal with as a kid.  Home was a constant, that´s exactly what a family needs in a world like this, especially down here.  Prostitution is legal down here, it´s a regular occurance to see 6 year olds buying beer so their dads or brothers can get drunk.  On Saturdays and Sundays we have to be careful where we go.  Especially because I´m tall, American, and red-headed.  They are all obsessed with my eyes and my red hair.  Anyways, I am just so gratful for everything that I had and where I was raised. 

The work is really slow right now.  On Saturday we knocked doors for 4 hours straight and didn´t get into one house.  That´s really weird for my mission.  My feet were so swollen, they looked like Cheryl´s right before she had the twins.  We still are counting our blessings though- we have about 5 really solid investigators right now and we have others that are semi-interested. 

Since it was a pretty slow week, I´ll try and answer some of Dad´s questions, sorry if this gets long and boring.  I´m pretty sure I get released June 26th.  Our Mission President right now is pretty firm on those dates, who knows the new one might be different.  In my District there are 4 sister missionaries.  There are like 8 in my Zone I think.  Salta has the most sister missionaries in South America I believe.  I think it has like 30.  So you do the math.  I think there´s like 15 areas with sisters, but I know for sure they are the safest.  My companion and I are pretty sure that we will be together another transfer, she only has one left and it´s pretty common thing for them not to change anything your last transfer.  We´ll see on Friday though. Spanish is coming along okay.  I can understand or get the jist of what everyone says.  Speaking is a different story though, I´m still improving everyday though.  I can pretty much talk about the Gospel with people, it´s the other stuff I struggle with. 

We pretty much have lunch with members everyday.  It´s a very rare thing when we eat in the pension, so I calculated it and I only spend about 10 American Dollars on food every week.  Pretty good huh? Our pension is really nice, we live behind a rich doctor.  It has a bottom floor with a kitchen and then kind of a loft where the bedrooms are.  Washing machines don´t exist here, we do our laundry in a big barrel with a spinner.  Then we have to wring out our clothes and hang dry them.  Did I mention I´m gratful for the US?

Anyway, I hope that answers most of your questions. Let me know if you have anymore.  I hope you all have good weeks.  Please send me warm clothes ASAP because it takes forever for things to get here. I finally got Chaise´s letter on Thursday that you sent mom.  Thanks.  I love you all!

Love Hermana Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment