Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Living & Loving in Argentina! - Monday, February 21, 2011

Hey All!
 
It was really good to hear from so many of you! Thanks so much for all of the letters! I´ll try really hard to answer all of your questions. 
 
This week was pretty crazy.  Really cool though.  We are experiencing so much success here in Portezuelo II (that´s what my area is called).   It is right in downtown Salta.  We live about a block West of the Mission home so where you were looking is pretty accurate on where I live. Not very accurate on where we work.  I think all of you would be pretty shocked at some of the things I see.  Everyone lives in houses made of cement.  The culture here is really laid back so everyone lets their houses go.  No one, and I mean absolutely no one has carpet.  There are a million dogs with fleas that run around in the streets and just poop whereever they want.  Lice is pretty prevelant.  I´m pretty much guarenteed to get it once or twice during my mission, so I´m looking forward to that one! haha!
 
My companion is amazing.  She is so awesome!  Like I said she is from Draper.  She had a pretty hard time learning Spanish so she is super patient with me.  She really is my mom. She is so kind and makes me feel so comfortable.  I love her.  She makes me drink water and put on my sunscreen so don´t worry mom. 
 
Well, I was pretty sick this week.  We went to an investigators house, Stella, she´s the one that gave me the purse.  Anyway, she gave us bread from a street vendor.  Number one no no here in the mission, don´t eat anything from street vendors.  Well I really regretted it.  I was really sick for about 3 days.  We actually had to end up coming back to the pension early.  I tried so hard a few days to stay out and work because we have quite a few investigators that need us, but I just couldn´t take it.  My stomache was actually churning.  I never threw up but I had nausea really bad.  I had diahrrea pretty bad too.  TMI I know.  I thought you´d all like to know about that! haha!  I feel a lot better now.  For the most part though the water here is alright, we can drink it.  The thing I struggle with the most though are the eating habits here.  The eat a huge meal at like 2 in the afternoon.  They stuff themselves until they are completely sick and then they sleep for a few hours, they sleep so much here!  And they don´t really eat anything the rest of the day. So i am sick pretty much ever afternoon.  I hate it!!!! They eat so much sugar here too.  Just so you know I will not be drinking pop when I get home.  I´m already sick of it.  But the food here is really good!  They all are excellent cooks.  I could learn a thing or two. 
 
Anyways, We had a baptism on saturday!!!! Wahoo!!!! His name was Alfredo Torres.  He was actually the first real person I had a lesson with here on the mission!  He is a really sweet guy, so it was pretty cool for me to sit in on that one.  We have 2 more baptisms on Saturday.  We have been blessed with a lot of success in this area.  I asked my companion if this much success is common.  She said it´s not but it can be.  Anyway, it was really exicting.  We are working really hard and having a lot of success here in Salta. 
 
On Thursday, we were out working and it started to pour down rain.  I´m not kidding you it was pouring.  Water was like rivers in the streets.  I forgot my coat so I was pretty much miserable.  My companion just said we need to keep working.  I didn´t have a very good attitude but we kept working.  We knocked on this one door and a kid came to the door, then he went and got his dad.  Anyways we ended up teaching a family of 7!!! That is freaking amazing.  Anways they are Catholic, pretty strong Catholic.  Everyone claims that here.  Anyways, turns out their family was praying that day for their Priest to show up and we showed up.  We are really excited about them. Faith, attitude and hard work are  incredible things. We will have to see how it turns out.  We have another appointment with them on Wednesday. 
 
My Spanish is coming little bits at a time.  I think I expected it to just turn on once I got here.  The Argentines have an insanely wierd accent so they are pretty hard to understand.  But I can tell I understand more and more everyday, and I speak more and more everyday.  Anyways, its a process, but its getting better daily...
 
Mom did you get my stuff from the MTC.  The mail system is pretty reliable so send stuff to the mission office just throught the United States Postal service.  Also tell everyone else who is not immediate family to use Dear Elder.  It takes about a week.  It might take a while to write back, but oh well I guess. 
 
Tell dad I saw a drunk Gaucho yesterday.  Thats a pretty common sight, drunk men.  They love my red hair down here so I get stared at and cat called at quite a bit.  Ahh the beauties of the mission. 
 
I love you all and I pray for you everyday.  Thanks for the updates.  Did Cam get surgery.   Tell Grandpa I love him and that he has to make it until I get home.  I cant believe that Grandmas siblings and inlaws are all almost gone.  Sheesh.  Life is crazy.
 
I love all of you,
Hermana Wendy Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment